Monday, April 2, 2007

Sabudana khichidi

Satya and I are very much fond of a maharashtrian specialty called as sabudana khichidi. Made from sago trees, sabudana is a great source of carbohydrate, with trace amounts of other nutrients. Since it is coupled with ingredients like ghee, salt, sugar, lime juice, green chillies, ground peanut powder, cumin seeds, potatoes, cilantro, it is a meal perfect for Fasting. Even when you are fasting, you have a complete meal consisting of carbohydrates (frm sabudana), proteins (from peanuts), fats (from ghee), fiber (from potatoes, cilantro) and vitamin c (from lime juice). It confirms my belief that eating right in scientific way was followed by Indians since a long time. So that is why, during Fasting my mom used make this nutritious and delicious meal and serve it with yoghurt or khamang kakdi (cucumber raita). I remember as kid eating sabudana khichi the entire day. That’s how much I like it.
After my marriage and moving to Chicago I tried making sabudana khichidi. But have never been successful, till now that is. My mom-in-law makes the best sabudana khichidi. And I really look forward to Thursdays when she would cook it. This year, she gave me some sabudana bought at Grahakpeth, Pune. I bought it from there, because sometimes even when you are following the recipe, it doesn’t turn out as it should because the basic ingredient isn’t good. That’s the case with sabudana I had purchased here in Indian store.
So one fine day I decided to put my skills and the new sabudana to test.
2 cups sabudana (we love it so made lots of it)
1 cup roasted peanuts
ghee –4 teaspoons
1 teaspoon cumin
green chillies (per your preference for hotness)
1 medium potato
salt to taste
sugar to taste
cilantro for garnishing
lime juice (optional)
From this recipe you get 5 servings.
Soak the sabudana in little water overnight and remember to cover it.
Grind the peanut and green chillies together coarsely. This gives the sabudana a great taste. Boil the potato, peel it and dice it into cubes. On the soaked sabudana, add the peanut-chillies mixture, cilantro, salt and sugar and mix it well. Heat ghee in a kadhai and when it is sufficiently hot, add the cumin and boiled potato cubes. Mix it well. Add the sabudana mixture to it. Keep mixing this entire mixture so that it doesn’t stick to the kadhai. Donot cover the kadhai. When sabudana turns from opaque to translucent, it is cooked. Garnish with lime juice if you like. Serve with yoghurt or cucumber raita.
Satya and his brother Amol loved it. I think I will make sabunadana khichidi on a regular basis now, it is a complete meal.
Dipti

No comments: