Monday, February 12, 2007

the arrival of MR. FROSTY

It’s been a very cold winter here in Chicago. This year, they say, has been one of the coldest in the past seven years. To tell you the truth I very much expected it. Winter in Chicago starts around thanksgiving and continues through the Christmas, New Year and other frosty freezing icy months through May I would say. People don’t notice how cold it gets during November and December simply because there are other things to occupy their minds. That time of the year, when people get drunk (but they hardly ever need a reason here), dread the family gatherings and scramble around to get an invite for the new years party, I would say is one of the coldest month. All cities around USA are lit with lights and decorated throughout November and December. But come January, and just as you are getting over your new years hangover, the entire city is stripped off its glitzy, warm look and it turns from the young hip uber place to a dark gloomy sad frost stricken place. And I hate it. I hate the sudden transformation. You tend to notice the cold, the snow and the freezing wind-chill that Lake Michigan blows over to Chicago.
You start dreading going to office. Wearing 3 layers of sweaters, 2 layers of gloves, 2 layers of socks, snow jacket, ear muffs, and hat doesn’t seem to help. Wish for warmer places. Think about going to Texas for vacation but this year it snowed over there too. Here last week the recorded temperature was -10deg fah with wind-chill taking it down to -20 deg. dragging yourself to office is a chore especially when you know that you have 3-4 months more of this to endure. Satya says being cold is a state of mind. I beg to differ. Till now I have complained just once about how cold it was here. But after learning that “this is Chicago” I have stopped complaining and tried looking at the warmer side. I am still looking for it and am starting to think that there isn’t one. At this time I wonder what the hell happened to global warming? But still at least it is February. Just 2 more months of freezing hell to endure.
On the other hand, I am enjoying eating bhajias, making different soups, shopping for new sweaters etc. thank god that all the buildings and the public transport are heated. I think I can take 4 blocks of walking in the cold. I am looking forward to spring. Chicago is once of the most beautiful cities to be in spring. This city DOES have 4 seasons of spring, summer, autumn and winter (of course winter being the longest). And at times it is beautiful here in winter too. The Chicago river is frozen and so are parts of the lake.
Like someone once said, “life is something to be endured, not enjoyed”, I try applying that maxim by replacing the noun by freezing hell.

No comments: